Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Lemony Fun; TWD

This week for our Tuesdays With Dorie assignment, Jennifer and I collaborated and baked together. We made Lemon Cup Custard, chosen by Bridget, from The Way the Cookie Crumbles. The recipe is on page 387 of Baking, From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan.

My kids had spent the night at Jennifer's. Being the gracious host she always is, she was preparing dinner when I arrived. She had chosen a duochromatic theme, serving food in the hues of pink and yellow. We had ham, apple slices, smoky macaroni and cheese, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots in cheese sauce, and banana pudding for dessert. I unwittingly created another theme, having brought the game Bananagrams to play. We played Bananagrams while having banana pudding, our first dessert.

Making the lemon custard was pretty straightforward. I got it started while she was finishing dinner. Neither she nor I had a complete set of matching six ounce custard cups. We combined our resources and tried to divide the liquid evenly among them.



They baked while we ate dinner. We tasted them before they chilled and decided they were like lemony eggs. Interesting. Some other interesting tidbits from the afternoon: Jennifer may have had a chest hair on her milk bottle (which I was not going to mention but since she posted it, I'd say it's fair game). She also told me she wore clean socks to yoga last week, and while her son struggled to fit "queer" into his crossword, my son succeeded in fitting "ass" and "sex" into his. Another day of good clean fun in Jennifer's Kinky Kitchen.



(I was hoping these little tins I got at the Goodwill would form pretty custards. I did NOT mean for this picture to look like pock marked breasts.)

9 comments:

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

Oh yum they still look good even if they do resemble boobs!

I wish I could cook like you guys do, or really cook at all. I am really good at broiling things oh and pouring cereal! : )

Jennifer said...

SS,
So funny! We should do a joint post every week, kind of like the movie "He said, She said."
Jennifer

spike. said...

Its always good to have someone to bake with so that if it doesn't turn out quite right you have someone to back up that you did actually follow the recipe (I have no excuse).

Anonymous said...

Pock marked breasts. How funny. Dinner sounds like it was fun.

Ms. PH said...

Not to be picky (since I never serve duochromatic themed meals to my kids, let alone my friends' kids), but I don't think broccoli is either pink or yellow.

TourGuideJenn said...

I take cooking classes at a local JC and we have a bunch of those little tins. I will never look at them the same again!

Sounds like you two girls had a good time!

snicketmom said...

Ms. PH, when it is covered in cheese sauce, it is! (Well, maybe that is a stretch; there were bits of green showing through. Plus, duochromatic is not actually a word, so I don't have to be strict about it.)

TeaLady said...

Funny!!! Love the different cups, etc. Looks good. Fun to cook with someone else.

Anonymous said...

Ha, sounds like a fun night!