Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Creamiest Lime Cream Meringue Pie, TWD



This was quite a pie. (With quite a lot of butter.) I got excited about making this when Jennifer brought it to book club. Our host provided a wonderful citrus themed dinner, including dessert, but Jennifer provided another dessert, serendipitously citrusy as well. (And Ms. PH brought an incredible pesto dip, which complimented the citrus theme too!)

The lime cream for the pie has a hint of ginger. I stole a page from Romaine's book and made my cream in the microwave. I have done curds in the microwave before, and it is so simple and getting it to 180 degrees just took a few minutes. Then I strained it into the blender and slowly added the two and a half sticks of butter. The cream was nice and thick, so I think the microwave cheat was fine.



One advantage to procrastinating when making the TWD recipes, is I can learn from Jennifer's suggestions. She felt her crust was too dry and crumbly and suggested doubling the butter. As if this pie did not already have enough butter? But I followed her advice and the crust turned out fine.



I was worried about burning the meringue and may have pulled it out a tad to soon. Next time I will be braver and toast that top a little more.



Thanks to Linda at Tender Crumb for choosing this pie. She made tartlets from this recipe that are the most beautiful I have seen. You can get the recipe on her blog or on pgs. 337-339 of Baking, From my Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan.

6 comments:

Megan said...

Microwave? Seriously? How cool was that?

Although who am I to talk - I skipped the double boiler and just cooked it directly on the cooktop.

spike. said...

next time I may have to drag out my microwave (I keep it in the basement) because it took sooo long on the stove. I like your meringue topping

Jennifer said...

Your pie looks delicious, especially the non-crumble-y crust!
J

Romaine of www.salad-in-a-jar.com said...

Glad you liked my microwave suggestion. I was a little hesitant to speak about it--seems like microwaves are not so cool in the foodie world. But it works and saves time, so why not?

My mother bought one of the first consumer microwave ovens ever sold back in the early seventies so I have tried almost everything in them.

I should have done what you did with the crust and doubled the butter. Think it would have held together better. Still tasted good though.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try the microwave technique. Your pie looks great. I'm glad it was a success.

Linda said...

wow...i've got to try the microvawing technique. Your pie turned out fantastic!

Thanks for baking along with me this week!