Monday, January 12, 2009

Maybe I am Dense

OK, so I am trying to learn to be a better baker. I have a muffin recipe I have been making for 10 years that I love. It is made with whole wheat flour, yogurt, orange juice, and berries. I think the muffins are delicious and I love the texture. My kids eat them and like them, but they were practically raised on them, so I don't know if they really know any different. My husband calls them hockey pucks and complains that they are gummy and very dense. Ummm, that is why I love them so much! I have briefly read things about ways to lighten up the texture of whole wheat. I have seen recipes that use half white flour and half whole wheat. I have used the whole white wheat flour. But I like this muffin recipe the way it is. Maybe it is like enjoying butter on Saltines and not realizing there is anything wrong with that until your friend blogs about it as though it was weird.

Anyway, one day I had made a double (or was it quadruple?) batch of muffins and I had a lot. Little E was going to his friend's house across the street, so I sent some with him to take to his friend's family. The mom called and thanked me and said they were good, her dad is diabetic, so she might give some to him. I was a little puzzled, but oh well.

Last night, Little E's friend showed up at our door, with a bag of home made granola bars and a index card that said simply "WHOLE WHEAT & FLAX SEEDS". The little boy said, "My mom made these and no one in my house likes them. She said to bring them to you."

They are actually quite delicious. I have eaten all but one of them.

I've probably made my muffin recipe sound really appetizing. I will probably never hear the end of it if I finish this post without sharing it. OK. But I don't know where I got it. It is handwritten in a journal, so I don't know to whom to give credit.

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

1 1/4 c. oatmeal
3/4 c. yogurt
1/2 c. orange juice
1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 T baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
2 egg whites
1 c. blueberries

Combine 1st three ingredients. Set aside. Combine rest of ingredients except eggs. Add oat mix and egg whites. Stir until moist. Fold in blueberries. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I think your muffins have a good flavor, they just are a bit dense... maybe you should shape them like scones? Because while it might just be nomenclature, they do seem more scone like than mufffin-like. I've also wondered where I could get whole wheat pastry flour as I've often seen that used in recipes but I've never seen it in the store. I wonder if that would give them a lighter texture? (Not that you would want that, LOL)

Katie said...

Butter on saltines isn't weird at all. We did that all the time growing up...but then we also ate braunschweiger too...